Karen’s Stuffed Pepper Casserole
I developed this recipe because it’s easier and faster than the traditional method of stuffing whole bell peppers with filling, and tastes just as good.
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 small pkg yellow rice, with lowest possible sodium content
- 1 can or 2 cups Chicken, or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, yellow or white, peeled and diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 lb. ground turkey, chicken, or 1 12oz pkg veggie crumbles, preferably sausage style
- 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8oz pkg shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove stems and seeds from peppers and cut into large pieces. Place peppers in a large pot and cover with water. Bring peppers to a boil and cook for five minutes to soften. Drain peppers and set aside, reserving cooking liquid. Follow cooking directions on the rice package, using broth and or cooking liquid from the peppers in place of the required water. While the rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add the onion and cook five minutes. Add garlic and cook for two minutes. Stir in ground meat or veggie crumbles and cook until browned. Add tomatoes and heat through. In a large baking dish, layer peppers, rice, meat, or crumble mixture and cheese making sure to end with a generous layer of cheese. Place in oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serves 4-6. Serve with garlic toast and fresh fruit for a complete meal.
If you or someone you know would enjoy hearing from us, please visit us at Natural Health Wise and get free instant access to our 20 Superfoods Report, great recipes, nutrition information and much more!